Wednesday, March 31, 2010

En atendant Ubuntu

There is aboutone month to Lucid Lynx.
In the meanwhile it seems that the video configuration on my laptop is totally chaotic at bot time. The native resolution of the screen is 1280x800 but often (about 30% of the cases) at reboot the resolution is set to 1024x768 and that looks horrible on my screen.
I have tried to understand the behavior but I hadn't been able to.
So I decided to make a hack to fix the resolution to 1280x800.
1. I have run the command Xorg -configure and I got a file named xorg.conf.new that I moved in /etc/X11 under the name xorg.conf
2. I have launched the xvidtune command during a session that booted right and I have displayed the current settings by pressing "Show" button. The current settings were displayed on the terminal from that I've launched xvidtune.
3. I have edited the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and I have added the following section at the end
Section "Modes"
Identifier "Custom"
ModeLine "1280x800" 71.00 1280 1328 1360 1440 800 803 809 823 -hsync -vsync
EndSection
4. I have edited the section "Monitor" to look like:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
UseModes "Custom"
EndSection

5. Saved the file and restarted

Now on any reboot I get the default 1280x800 resolution.
Still I am not quite happy with the remaining question of why the resolution is not set correctly at boot time. I'll have to investigate it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment