Wednesday, August 16, 2017

One year with a German car

I bought last year a Golf Mk7 SW (Variant) as the old Kalos was going out of shape and it lacked basic safety features nowadays as ABS.
Before buying the car I drove some Ford Focus, Kia C'eed, Renault Megane, Peugeot 308 and Opel Astra K on test drives. I was also considering Citroen C5 and Volvo V60 but they were kind of too expensive for me. Finally I decided to go with Golf as it had the most features for the money (it had even more features than Kia). However it was not the most pleasant car to drive Focus and 308 were far better rides (more precise steering and suspension). The engine was better than Kia's but Renault's and Peugeot's felt better.

After one year and more than 12000 km of driving the car both on city and on the countryside I can say:

1. It is not a city car - too long, hard to park, fuel consumption quite high (~9 l/100 km) due to the fact that I drive short distances.
2. Interior feels cheaper than previous versions and is prone to scratches. The interior fabric gets dirty easily and the black colour makes it visible immediately
3. Not the most comfortable chairs.
4. Trunk is big enough.
5. Lacking independent suspension on the rear wheels reduces the comfort for passengers.
6. The clutch smells burnt on moderate effort (parking manoeuvres, steeper hill roads) although it works (until now)
7. Infotainment has some bugs especially with Android Auto.
8. I expected more storage space (eg. under driver's seat)
9. Upgrades are quite expensive (eg. ACC, cameras)
10. Fuel economy on long countryside rides.
11. Good looking but not stunning.

What I am missing is the quality that makes this car unique. It's above average in every aspect but...

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Latest

As I haven't written for a while:

1. Got annoyed about the stupidity of our parliament and parties. IQ test should be  mandatory for all candidates. IQ less than 90 should be forbidden. They acted as if their average IQ is well below 80.

2. Building an acrylic bending table.

3. Code Kata on http://open.kattis.com - it helps me brush some algorithmic skills.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

New tricks

I have recently had to cope with mounting sun protection film on windows.
The easiest way to do it is:

1. Determine which is the foil and which is the protection. To do this use two sticky tape cuts so that you can separate the foil from the protection.

2. Clean the window thoroughly.

3. Wet the window with water by spraying it on the window.

4. Apply the film with the protection part towards you. It will stick on the window just because of superficial tension between water and foil.

5. As the protective film is in your direction you can peel it off using the sticky tape. The foil will expose its glued side.

6. Quickly spray water on the glued side of film. Use lot of water.

GET SOMEBODY TO HELP YOU HERE IN ORDER TO REDUCE RISKS OF DAMAGING THE FOIL.

7. Take the  film out of the window and turn it around. Position it carefully with the glued side on te window. As both the window pane and foil are still wet it will not adhere instantly so you can make adjustments.

8. Using a spatula (wooden, plastic) remove all the bubbles by moving from centre to sides.

9. Cut the excess foil using an Xacto knife/cutter.

 

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Newest wireless keyboard


With mechanical switches.

In fact this is a CoBRA Romanian Spectrum clone inside a HC91 (another clone) case.
The idea is that it has no power supply and seems a little damaged.

Let the restoration begin :)

Friday, April 14, 2017

Lo Tech repair


The old Bosch PSR960 battery was certainly dead. Not a big surprise as I have not used and charged it correctly all the time. I have pondered buying a new battery but the price of a battery was almost as high as for a new tool.

I had some spare NiMH batteries and a holder for them so I decided to build a new battery for the drill. Using NiMH is better than LiIon because I can reuse the same charger although LiIon would probably be more powerful and  lighter. Even with NiMH I boosted the capacity . from 1500 mAh to 2500 mAh

I removed the old NiCd cells and cut the bottom of the battery in order to make room for the holder. I have soldered the wires to the pack and placed the heat sensor on a cell. To keep them from moving (and be able to replace a cell if it would be the case I fixed them in place with some silicone.
It worked... I have a working screw driver.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Lately

- Built a 2x28V/2A PSU based on the Hiland kit I found on banggood.com. I have cut an acrylic case for it and now it looks awesome.



- Lots of trips

- Kidney stones - excruciating pain