Sunday, May 9, 2010

Going headless again

After the launch of Ubuntu 10.04 I decided that I have to upgrade to this LTS.
On laptop it was easy but on my server I had a problem. No keyboard and no screen were attached to it - so again I had to do a headless install.
Last time I made a hack with a USB stick but it was quite ugly.
Now I decided to do something cleaner.
The outcome was simple I modified the file isolinux/isolinux.cfg to accommodate aserial console. My file looks like:

serial 0 115200
console 0
prompt 1
timeout 30
default install
label install
menu label ^Install Ubuntu Server
kernel /install/vmlinuz
append console=ttyS0,115200n8 file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server.seed initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet --
label minimal
menu label Install ^Minimal Server
kernel /install/vmlinuz
append console=ttyS0,115200n8 file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server-minimal.seed initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet --
label minimalvm
menu label Install Minimal ^VM
kernel /install/vmlinuz
append console=ttyS0,115200n8 file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server-minimalvm.seed initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet --
label rescue
menu label ^Rescue a broken system
kernel /install/vmlinuz

With this modification in place I have rewrtten the CD and everything worked as a charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment