Saturday, December 30, 2017

Macbook grooming

My old faithful macbook started to behave badly in the last days.
The keys O, P, 0 and - worked randomly, battery was draining rapidly and the free space was incredibly low.
To fix them I proceeded as such:

1. Low space - it seems that the Android development software was taking about 100GB, almost half of my SSD space. Just uninstalled it and, voila, lots of free space, I was able to install games again.

2. Keys - I had to open the computer, clean it reseat all the connectors on the motherboard. It was not enough though, I had also to extract the key P and move the rubber cup a little.Now it seems that the key works.

3. Battery drain - the culprit here was Chrome. Changing from Chrome to Safari increased the autonomy from about 2 hours to about four hours and this is not bad at all for a five years old computer.


I am still pondering if I should buy a new keyboard, battery and some memory upgrades. However a newer computer, something with Retina display would also be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment