Thursday, January 19, 2006

XMLRPC for system management

Those days I had tremendous headaches with some system management applications that have to supervise some systems and continously report to a serve.
It is something alike:


+-----------------+
/-|Management daemon|
| +-----------------+
| ...
+---+ +-----+ | +-----------------+
|GUI|----|Proxy|---|Management daemon|
+---+ +-----+ +-----------------+



Instead of having the modules communicating one with the other via sockets, as the application used to run, I thought of how I could improve the communication.

The ideas were:
1. SNMP
Very elegant solution indeed. But my knowledge of SNMP are quite limited and I hadn't had the time to study it more indeep.

2. XML-RPC
Clean and lightweight solution. In less than 3 hours I coud write in Python a proxy and a simple management daemon that were comunicating together via XML-RPC. Now the last step is to integrate the Java GUI I have via XML-RPC and I will feel much safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment