Monday, March 28, 2005

User support at Mobifon/Connex

I was home yesterday and I wanted to read my e-mail. As usual I dialed my crappy Clicknet connection but I couldn't hook up to the ISP. It kept giving me busy tone.

So I decided to ask my mobile operator - Connex/Mobifon future Vodafone Romania - to provide me GPRS internet access.
I have a pretty good phone, a Siemens S65 that is GPRS Class 10 capable, and I wanted to use it.
I called the technical support and ... asked them the settings for my phone. The girl activated my data account and gave me the settings.
I made the connection but somehow the nameserver ceased to respond.
I started to verify the settings and I found out that "Extra initialization commands" for the GPRS modem were somehow wrong. I called the support again.
This time I found an angry girl. She talked with in a very upset tone. I told her my problem and what I thought the solution was. Again in a very upset tone she started to dictate me the code AT+GCDCONT="1","ip","internet.connex.ro".
I was quite frustrating that she spoke fast and I couldn't hear everything she said. I asked her to repeat. The tone of her voice became more and more uppset and repeated in a disgusted manner the string.
I started the connection while I was talking to her and told her that. She said that it was impossible for me to use GPRS and voice in the same time. I got irritated and told her that as GPRS and voice are not on the same timeslot of the air interface it is possible and I was right. The connection was done while talking to her.

I thanked her politely for the precious help she gave me and hung up the phone.

I cannot understand why do they hire such persons for this kind of position. She seemed both aggresive and incompetent.

--

Deactivate Windows updates when you are on GPRS. It will make lots of traffic which is VERY expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment